Adoption is an effective form of child protection. It has a positive impact on children’s growth and development.
Save the Children facilitates intercountry adoptions as an adoption service provider authorised by the National Adoption Board. In this work we comply with the
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Convention on the Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption – The Hague Convention (1997)
- Finnish Adoption Act (2012)
- Adoption legislation of the adopted child’s country of birth
- Nordic Adoption Approach of the Nordic Adoption Council (NAC)
Save the Children is a member of the Nordic Adoption Council (NAC) and Euroadopt, the European umbrella body for adoption organisations.
Adoption is the child’s option. Our aim is to find the family that meets the child’s needs.
- We maintain joint contacts on adoption abroad.
- We assist adoption applicants living in Finland with the adoption process.
- We provide information on children available for adoption and on the adoption process.
- We assist the various parties to an adoption – the adopted child, young person or adult, the adoptive parents and biological parents – for years following the adoption with a post-adoption service and country of birth visits.
Every child is special. Adopted children often have or have experienced
- Early loss and trauma
- Insufficient care in early childhood
- Life in institutions among large groups of children
- Special health needs – history of diseases or diagnoses requiring treatment.
Intercountry adoption is never a matter of “ordering” a healthy child. People considering intercountry adoption must accept that some of the child’s special needs may require a commitment to long-term treatment or rehabilitation.
Save the Children is authorised to cooperate on adoptions with the following countries. We also investigate new country options according to the need for cooperation on adoptions.
Are you thinking of an intercountry adoption?
We are continually on the look out for applicants who are suitable for out target countries. Contact Save the Children and find out more.
Head of the intercountry adoption service
Tel: +358 40 520 4823