Safer Internet work
Save the Children Finland engages in internet safety work with the objective of improving children's safety and well-being as well as children's rights in the domain of information and communications technology. This work is based on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, and in particular on children's rights relating to the opportunities created by new information technologies and to the specific threats and problems that these involve:
- right to life
- right to privacy
- right to knowledge and right to protection from harmful materials
- right to protection from violence and exploitation
- right to protection from sexual exploitation
- right to receive help in case of being or having been subjected to sexual exploitation
Child protection and digital media
SC Finland maintains a Hotline (Nettivihje) for the public to report suspected illegal online material. Its aim is to promote detection and deletion of illegal child sexual abuse material on the Internet, and to identify children that are subjected to sexual abuse through national and international co-operation. SC Finland offers education and training for relevant actors working with or for children in order to increase these professionals' knowledge and understanding of things relating to new information technologies and children's safety and well-being. There is close cooperation with the Media Education and Youth activity within the organization.
Save the Children Finland is engaged in Safer Internet programs funded by European commission. SC Finland is working in wide international cooperation (INHOPE, eNACSO) in order to establish and share information about the best practices to protect children online and to guarantee continuos up-to-date professional knowledge from the field.
- INHOPE (International Association of Internet Hotlines) coordinates worldwide Hotline-network in order to trace and take down illegal content. Currently network has 41 member hotlines in 34 countries around the world working together against the global problem of illegal online content.
- eNACSO (The European NGO Alliance for Child Safety Online) is a network consisting of children’s rights NGOs from across the EU working for a safer online environment for children. The network share expertise and best practice on key policy areas related to child online safety and promote its recommendations to national, European and international decision-makers and other relevant stakeholders.